Gliding just above the clouds faster than the speed of sound.
What are The Supernatural Olympics?
Last updated: Jun 17, 2006
The Supernatural Olympics comes loaded with features. We'll cover a more in-depth description of each feature next. Screenshots follow to help explain what the various features are.
The one thing that nearly all 2D games don't have is the ability for the player to manipulate the scenery to some extent. With The Supernatural Olympics, the scenery is fully customizable, except the actual images used. Sure, change the distance and size, or make the clouds flow along at 150 mph. You can do this and a lot more.
- Group mode - With group mode, all objects within a group (such as the mountains, the objects with a full icecap), are affected in a very similar way which helps enhance realism when changing the scaling. That is, if you change the scaling of the closest mountains to double the default, all mountains further away will have double their defaults. In the free edition, group mode is always enabled and cannot be disabled. In the full edition, group mode can be disabled so each layer can be manipulated individually.
- Highway - The closest of objects including the cars and lines. With the free edition, car speeds are limited to multiples of 5 to up to 75 mph in any direction. The full edition limits the speed to a phenomenally high 800 mph and tiny fractional values can be used.
- Clouds - The altocumulus clouds drift along above the scene. In the free edition, their speeds are limited to multiples of 5 to up to 50 mph and their heights are limited from 5000 to 20,000 feet in multiples of 1000. The full edition limits the speed to 800 mph and the heights are limited from 0 to 65,535 feet and there is no rounding.
- Sky quality - The sky at high quality has a very smooth gradient used and is more realistic. At low quality, there is no gradient but just a solid backdrop. Both editions support high and low quality skies.
- Distance fog - Objects far away become fogged out. This feature applies to the ground, not the objects in the scenery. The more channels used, the smoother the gradient is and thus the more realistic the effect is. In the free edition, 18-channel fog is used and it cannot be adjusted. In the full edition, all 8 factors of 54 can be used (thus 1, 2, 3, 6, 9, 18, 27, and 54-channel fog is available). To further explain the effects this has, just compare 18-channel fog with 54-channel fog with these two screenshots (with the mountains and hills taken out (made invisible through the menus)):
The difference between 18 and 54-channel fog is not that obvious.
18-channel fog simply means that, from the standard, default color, there are 18 steps from here (not including the base color) to the color of the fog. The same goes for 54-channel fog only 54 steps are used thus creating the smoother gradient.
9.1.3 The Supernatural Olympics - a high-speed action game
9.1.3-1 What is the game? - an introduction to the game
9.1.3-2 Feature comparison chart - a quick overview of the features
9.1.3-3 Scenery features - features related to the game's scenery
9.1.3-4 Special features - features rarely seen in games
9.1.3-5 On-screen information - features related to the data shown around the display
9.1.3-6 Special abilities - explains the various special abilities
9.1.3-7 Special effects - explains what the various special effects are
9.1.3-8 Challenges - details about the challenges
9.1.3-9 General features - other features
9.1.3-10 System requirements - what system requirements there are
9.1.3-11 Support, returns, updates, and upgrades - how to obtain support
9.1.3-12 Ten reasons to upgrade - the top ten reasons to upgrade to the full edition
9.1.3-13 Future plans and features - features planned for the future and the game's general future
9.1.3-14 Update checklist - an in-depth checklist for things I need to do before the next release becomes available
9.1.3-15 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) - some common questions that may be asked
9.1.3-16 How to purchase - how to buy the game and complete the upgrade.
9.1.3-17 End-user license agreement - Read this first before using the software or it's components.
9.1.3-18 Download - Download the game and game manual (and any updates).
9.1.3-19 Version 3.0 overview - An overview of the upcoming version, 3.0.